Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why me?

So often it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. Today reminded me of such a life. A life where I thought I believed seeking happiness by changing anything but my own disposition. But it is not so. Not because I thought it's so hard; believe me, it's so hard when I "have" to, and so easy when I "want" to. Now, either you "want" to "by default", or someone/something convinces you that you "want" to. In my case today, neither felt true. But alas, at the end of the day, it's not what they took away from me that counted. It's what I did with what I was left.

The sun will shine and warm and light us tomorrow and we will have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people. The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise. Well that's a try for tomorrow. After all both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute. I am not as much of a pessimist, but being an opportunist helps. It is the foundation of courage. Again not that I am not an optimist. But too much of it is cruel. Imagine if an optimist had his left arm chewed off by an alligator, he might say, in a pleasant and hopeful voice, "Well, this isn't too bad. I don't have my left arm anymore, but at least nobody will ever ask me whether I am right-handed or left-handed," but most of us would say something more along the lines of "Aaaaah! My arm! My arm!". Whatever the case, I'd blame the lord and ask him "why me?".

No comments: